Thursday 13 September 2012

jeudi de paris

You all know by now that we have a great view of the Notre Dame from our apartment.  Yes, I have been bragging about it.  A little.  Just one problem.  I feel compelled to take photos of it all the time.  In the morning.  At mealtimes.  When it rains.  When its lit up.  Here are a few faces of the grand dame; see how her mood changes!



Construction of the cathedral began in 1163 under the reign of Louis VII.  It was completed really only in 1345.  Over the years, its been vandalised, plundered and altered.  At one stage during the French Revolution, it was even used as a warehouse for food storage.


Victor Hugo wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1829.   It has been adapted in film and theatre, musicals and ballets.  When I sit on my terrace and the bells toll, I imagine it is Quasimodo,  shunned and hideous in his deformity, deaf from ringing the bells.  


I can't promise that these are the last photos you'll see of the Notre Dame.  But I haven't taken any new ones in the last 24 hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment